Most Holy Theotokos intercede for us!

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Prayer for Protection during the Night--Western Rite

O Angel of God, to whose holy care I am committed by the divine Mercy, enlighten, defend and protect me this night from all sin and danger. Amen.

Visit, we beseech Thee, O Lord, this habitation, and drive from it all the snares of the enemy. Let Thy holy Angels dwell herein to preserve us in peace; and may Thy blessing be upon us forever, through Christ our Lord. Amen.

God the Father, bless us; Jesus Christ, defend and keep us; the virtue of the Holy Ghost enlighten and sanctify us this night and forever; and may the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.

Bless, O Lord, the repose I am going to take in order to renew my strength, that I may be better able to serve Thee. O all ye Saints and Angels, but chiefly thou, O Mother of God, intercede for me this night and during the rest of my life, but particularly at the hour of my death.

May the divine assistance remain always with us. Amen.

[from The Roman Missal, 1962]

I'm not sure about the antiquity of the whole set of prayers. "Visit, we beseech Thee" comes from the Benedictine Office, the collect for Compline. "May the divine assistance" is said at the end of each Office and is followed by the response: "And with our absent brethren" in the Benedictine Office. "God the Father, bless us" bears a resemblance to the first section of the Western Litany. I don't know about "Bless, O Lord" and "O Angel of God." Since they are a compilation and come from a later Roman Catholic missal, they could be of quite recent composition. Anyone who knows more is welcome to post comment, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Rejoice, O Virgin Mother of God, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, for thou hast born the Savior of our souls.